Immigration Newsletter

Monday, July 20, 2009

Selective Service Registration for Male Illegal Immigrants

This is from the Selective Service Website:

If you are a man ages 18 through 25 and living in the U.S., then you must register with Selective Service. It’s the law. You can register at any U.S. Post Office and do not need a social security number. When you do obtain a social security number, let Selective Service know. Provide a copy of your new social security number card; being sure to include your complete name, date of birth, Selective Service registration number, and current mailing address; and mail to the Selective Service System, P.O. Box 94636, Palatine, IL 60094-4636.
Be sure to register before your 26th birthday. After that, it’s too late!
Selective Service does not collect any information which would indicate whether or not you are undocumented. You want to protect yourself for future U.S. citizenship and other government benefits and programs by registering with Selective Service. Do it today.

The weirdest thing about this is that illegal immigrants cannot join the US military. If they could, I suspect many young men and women would because they would be on a fast track to US citizenship. Still, men under twenty-six who think they might become legal residents and someday citizens should know that failure to register for Selective Service can be a set back to gaining US Citizenship.

No comments:

Post a Comment